After three months of hard development, I’m pleased to announce that the new version of CourtListener is going live at this very moment. In this version, we’ve completely rewritten vast swaths of the underlying code, and we’ve switched to a hugely more powerful architecture.

The new site comes with some significant improvements:

  • You can now search by casename, date, court, precedential status or citation
  • Results can be ordered by date or by relevance
  • New Boolean operators are supported, and our syntax is much more intuitive (see here for many more details)
  • If you want, you can now dig very deeply into the results. Previously, we had a cap at 1,000 results for a query. Not any more.
  • Court documents will now show up in our search results within milliseconds of being found on the court’s website. In the future, if there’s demand, we may use this to offer Realtime alerts.
  • We now have snippets and highlighting on our results page.
  • Finally, some polish everywhere to make things prettier.
  • Huge performance improvements.
  • Better support for mobile devices and tablets.
  • Better support for disabled people, and users that prefer not to use JavaScript.

And that just scratches the surface. This has been a HUGE rewrite of nearly all parts of the site, and we hope that you’ll be as excited about it as we are.

As of this moment, the our search index is getting built for the first time, so we won’t have all of our 600,000 cases available for a few hours. All cases are available though via their permalink.

We look forward to your feedback as we roll out the new version!